There are many ways to Get Involved in supporting your school.
Guidelines for Advertising in the Joaquin Miller School Newsletter
The Joaquin Miller PTA School Newsletter, The Walkie Talkie, is sent home with the youngest child in each family every other Wednesday — please look for it.
Its purpose is to serve as a means of communicating with parents to announce school events, PTA functions, and child-related community matters. It is not a forum for debate. The main body of the paper will contain only information that pertains to school and children's activities. Concise informational announcements and limited advertising may be accepted by The Walkie Talkie, consistent with its purpose and subject to the guidelines set forth below:
1. Short personal ads by members of Joaquin Miller families or staff are accepted for a minimal charge of $2.00 per line if the ad sells services (i.e. babysitting) or personal property (i.e. musical instruments).
2. Short ads by individual members of the Montclair Community are accepted, free of charge, if the ad gives away pets or personal items.
3. The Walkie Talkie will accept prepared, single-page ads from businesses offering services related to curriculum, remedial education services or special training/tutoring so long as the services support the goals and objectives of the school (see PTA Guidelines to National Principles for Corporate Involvement in the School, 1996). Each ad must be approved by OUSD before distribution. An attachment of the ad should be emailed to email@example.com in the District's Communication Department. Once approved, a pdf. file of the ad will be returned with the district's stamp of approval. The business must provide sufficient printed copies of the accepted ads with the district's stamp on them (i.e. 400 copies). A fee of $25.00 will be assessed for including the ad with the Walkie Talkie.
4. Commercial ads are generally not accepted, except as set forth in paragraph 3 above.
5. For all other business ads, please advertise in the Fall Auction Booklet.
6. To submit a flyer about a school program for distribution with the Walkie-Talkie, please leave 400 copies in the school office by 3:00 pm on Monday of the week the Walkie-Talkie comes out. Flyers received after this will not be distributed. All such flyers are subject to the approval of the school principal.
7. Please also submit a digital/electronic version of your flyer to Advertising
ITEMS WHICH ARE SUBMITTED AND DO NOT CONFORM TO THESE GUIDELINES MAY BE EXCLUDED OR EDITED BY THE PRINCIPAL, PTA PRESIDENT OR THE WALKIE TALKIE EDITOR.